Bill O`Keeffe from Saturn Farms has taken 5S as their theme for this quarter. Bill told about this on our last meeting in the International Lean Farming Discussion Group. They call the theme: “Bang And The Dirt Is Gone” . That is not that easy though!
He has in his update summarize the first experiences. And here is some of the points:
- The team members enjoyed the implementation of 5S
- When they had made 5S in one area, they got the momentum to proceed to another area
- They enjoyed to work in the cleaned areas
- Inventory is hard to manage
- Communication is key
- People’s perception of Shine and Set in order are different and needs to be standardised
- Keeping focus on daily priorities while executing 5S can be a challenge
It is not just about order – but you must organize the workplace
One thing we discussed on the meeting was, that %S is not just bringing order to the workplace. It is also ORGANIZING the workplace. It is crucial, that the employees discuss how the best workplace will be for them, so they can work more efficient and safe.